Family Film Night… expectation vs reality!
How should Family Film Night go down?
1. Children agree on a wonderful film to watch together “This film looks great, let’s watch this one!” “Yay!”
2. Parents and children prepare comfy area of blankets and pillows to rest upon whist watching said film
3. Wholesome snacks and drinks are provided to lovingly share and consume during film “Mum, this fruit medley is delicious, please may I have some more?”
4. Family relaxes upon comfy area, gazing at television, enjoying each other’s company and a good film. Happy and contented sighs all round.
5. Toddler falls asleep in loving arms of siblings/parents.
How DOES a Family Film Night go down?
1. Children argue over what film to watch “you picked last time!” “I hate that film its babyish!!!!” “I hate you!”
2. Children argue over where to sit during film “I want to sit next to dad, he loves me more!” “You always sit there!” “He’s touching my foot!” etc…
3. Kids want to eat every chocolate/biscuit/sugary snack in the house. Noisily. Whilst rustling the packet for an hour before opening the wrapper. Toddler runs around screaming.
4. Toddler thrashes about, kicks mum in the face, gets up and down to play a thousand times. Children bicker during the film over who ate who’s KitKat and who isn’t sharing their pillow and who likes this film the most. Mum huffs and wonders who thought Family Film Night would be a good idea. Isn’t it past their bedtime???? Children pick this time to ask mum and dad important questions like “what happens when we die?” and “why are you so old?”
5. No-one watches the film. Everyone is in a bad mood. Film lasts 4 hours. Or it seems that way. Mum wishes she had put the little angels to bed at their normal time and watched Sex and the City on her own!
Is is just my kiddos that do this? I’d love to know if normal families can sit and watch a film together in peace! 🙂